Instant Pot Butter Chicken
This recipe includes affiliate links to equipment and ingredients.
Whether you have 6 kids (like I do), are entertaining, or just enjoy leftovers, this butter chicken recipe is sized to accommodate your needs. Succulent pieces of chicken thigh smothered in a luxurious, lightly spiced tomato gravy will please even your pickiest kid (according to my pickiest kid), and the portions are generous enough to serve 8 as a main dish.
1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
796 ml (28 fl oz) can crushed tomato
250 ml (1 cup) water
45 ml (3 tbsp) grated fresh ginger or ginger paste
10 ml (2 tsp) minced garlic
15 ml (1 tbsp) garam masala
15 ml (1 tbsp) salt
10 ml (2 tsp) smoked paprika
5 ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
1. Blend ginger, garam masala, garlic, paprika, salt, turmeric, and cumin together in a small bowl until it forms a thick paste. Set aside.
2. Saute chicken in Instant Pot until it starts to brown. Add crushed tomato, water, and curry paste. Stir well to combine, then cover Instant Pot and cook on Low Pressure for 8 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release remaining pressure.
3. Remove cooking pot from Instant Pot and place on heat resistant surface. Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from the tomato mixture. Allow sauce to cool for 10 minutes — this step is important, so don’t rush it. This is a good time to start cooking your rice.
4. Add cream, butter, lime juice, garam masala, and cumin to the sauce. Whisk until smooth.
5. Return cooking pot to Instant Pot. Add chicken back to the sauce, stirring to coat the chicken evenly. Gently reheat on “Keep Warm” mode.
6. Serve over rice, garnishing with chopped cilantro.