Recipe: Savory Potato Dressing
This recipe is my approximation of the dressing my grandmother made for every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner when I was a child. For me, this is stick-to-the-ribs comfort food and is the bowl of leftovers I'll dive for first at breakfast time the next morning. It is very easy to put together and turns out best if assembled the day before and left to sit in the fridge. If you can, substitute duck fat for the butter -- it makes it extra yummy!
- 7-8 large boiled potatoes, mashed
- 1 - 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup butter or duck fat
- 1 cup milk (not skim)
- 4 - 5 slices stale bread, cubed or crumbled
- 4-6 tbsp flaked summer savory (not ground)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt pepper, to taste
Mash potatoes and onion together. Add butter or fat and mix until melted. Add seasonings and bread crumbs. Mix well and stir in milk until the dressing has a creamy texture.
Place mixture in a greased 2qt casserole dish. Pack the dressing in tightly. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Bake at 350F for 1 hour -- the last 30min uncovered.