As all of you know, Christmas is only a little over a month away. Thoughts this time of year turn to gifting friends and loved ones with special presents to show we care, and many of us make extra donations to the Food Bank or other charities in order to give back to our community. This year our community needs an extra showing of generosity. Due to two recent fires in a downtown women-only rooming house and a women's shelter, resources for women in crisis in Ottawa are stretched far too thin.
There are a number of organizations accepting donations of money, food and clothing -- many thanks to Ian Capstick for assembling and circulating the following list:
- Cornerstone Women’s Shelter donations can be made online here; or contact Anglican Diocese of Ottawa at 71 Bronson Ave. 613-232-7124 to arrange cash donations: http://www.ottawa.anglican.ca/cornerstone/donors/donations/
- Harmony House: http://www.harmonyhousews.com/
- Nelson House: http://www.nelsonhouse.on.ca/
- Interval House: http://intervalhouseottawa.org/
- Minwaashin Lodge, Aboriginal Women’s Support, also supporting Oshki Kizis Lodge. An emergency shelter for women. http://www.minlodge.com/
- Centre 507: food bank; 613-232-3059.
- St. Joe's Women's Centre, 613-231-6722 http://www.stjoeswomenscentre.org/
- The Well, 154 Somerset W. at Elgin (clothing donations); 613-594-2843
- Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Donate online here: http://www.ociso.org/support-us.htm
- Ottawa Food Bank http://www.theottawafoodbank.ca/
- Immigrant Women’s Services of Ottawa http://www.immigrantwomenservices.com/
- Also, donations can be made to the United Way: http://www.unitedwayottawa.ca/